Pacing Yourself Throughout the Day With Chronic Illness
I know, I know, we’ve all heard it before: Pacing yourself throughout the day is a must in order to get through it. But how do you pace yourself so it’s truly effective? I want to share how I do it with you. I hope you find it helpful.
1. Determine your fatigue level for the day.
2. Adjust your to-do list accordingly.
3. Prioritize with most important at the top (I use the basket system – I’ll show you in an upcoming post!).
4. Focus on one thing at a time.
5. If possible, do it sitting down (I have mopped my kitchen floor this way!).
When you start feeling wiped out:
- sit down
- lean back
- take long slow breaths
- drink some water
Next, decide if you can finish or not. If you can’t, try these:
1. Take a “coffee nap” – drink a cup of coffee and nap right after for about 20 minutes. When you wake up is right around the time the coffee takes effect.
2. Do 10 minutes of quiet meditation.
3. Take a big nap (no amount of time specified),…