By Holly Russel –
Ghosts and goblins aren’t the spookiest thing pets encounter during the Halloween season. The hallmarks of the holiday can scare up a bone-load of trouble for furry friends.
With the cost of costumes, candy and decorations continuing to rise and the holiday season right around the corner, pet parents should take caution so a preventable mishap doesn’t end up costing an arm and a leg.
To help navigate Halloween for furry little friends, Petplan pet insurance staff veterinarian Dr. Jennifer Maniet helped reveal the top three hazards pet parents should beware.
Most pet parents know that the theobromine in chocolate poses a threat, but some don’t realize that the candy can affect pets in different ways. The type of chocolate, how much a pet eats and their weight are all factors in how severely toxic chocolate can be.
Here’s how to calculate a pet’s risk:
- Multiply the ounces ingested by the milligrams of theobromine per ounce.
- Divide that number by the weight of the dog.
- The closer the resulting number is to 20, the worse the toxic effects will haunt him.
|Milligrams of theobromine per ounce of chocolate|
|Dark chocolate – 160mg||White 1mg|
“If a pet ingests any amount of any kind of chocolate, this is an emergency,…