Many of us spend well over a third of our lives sleeping, but many people don’t know the secrets to sleeping better. The best sleep advice is to always make your bedroom a sanctuary—a place for rest and regeneration.
What can you do to help you sleep better?
Here are some simple tips to follow for a better night’s sleep:
● Make your bedroom dark, quiet, orderly, and comfortable. A messy room with too much light tends to make it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep.
● Use your bed only for sleep and sex. Don’t watch TV, read, eat, or work in bed. The association you create between your bed and the activities you do there will help teach your body when it should be sleeping and when it shouldn’t.
● Try a warm bath before bedtime or a hot beverage such as milk or chamomile tea after dinner to help relax.
● Avoid caffeinated beverages for about four hours before bedtime.
● Get regular exercise, even if it just a quick walk around the block. Exercise helps promote good sleep.
● Have a wind-down routine before bedtime that will help you relax and let go of the day’s stresses. Try reading a book or spending time with family or friends to take your mind off of things.
● When you are ready to hit the sack, dim the lights and shut off electronics at least an hour before bedtime, as these emit bright and stimulating light that can prevent you from falling asleep .
● If you have trouble sleeping, try keeping a journal by your bedside. Write down the things that are worrying you and what you can do to make them better. It gets those worries out of your head and down where you can see them instead of letting them float around in your mind all night long.
● If all else fails, keep some chamomile tea or other herbal remedies containing valerian on hand in case of insomnia emergency. Watch out though; these herbal remedies can be habit-forming if taken on a regular basis, so it’s important to stick with the recommended dosage and only take teas on occasion.
Having troubles falling or staying asleep? here is all you need to know about how you can improve your sleep schedule