Do you feel that you’ve already given the best years of your life to unhealthy and painful eating habits? If so, it’s time to start making healthy changes to your diet.
What are the disadvantages of eating unhealthy?
Unhealthy food has a detrimental effect on both your appearance and your health, even if you are of normal weight. The sooner you start eating right, the sooner you can enjoy better health.
If making healthy changes sounds difficult, it needn’t be. In fact, it can be quite simple. The key is in making healthy changes to your eating habits, which are straightforward. Here are the most important guidelines for making these changes.
How do I start eating healthy for beginners?
- Eat a variety of foods
- Don’t eat too much salt and sugar
- Eat less fat and calories
- Choose more fruits and vegetables
- Get more active
- Read nutrition labels.
- Be aware of portions.
- Plan meals and snacks.
- Keep a food diary.
How can I make myself more active?
- Get more active by moving more. Make some effort to move around more often, even if you don’t think you have the time or energy for a full workout. Move around at your desk, while watching TV, or while riding in the car (don’t text and drive!).
Why is it important to read nutrition labels?
- The information on food labels is easy to read and understand. It will help you keep track of the nutrients you are eating every day, such as calories, fat, sugar, sodium, protein, and fiber.
How do I learn to control portions?
- To control portions: Use a measuring cup or can to measure your portions and limit them to appropriate sizes. For example: a serving of tuna is 3 ounces (about the size of an iPhone), but one can contains up to 2½ times that amount. Smaller servings will help you control how many calories and nutrients you eat each day.
How do you plan nutritious meals and snacks?
- Make sure you eat regular meals and snacks, every 2-3 hours. This will help you maintain your blood sugar levels throughout the day, so you feel energized and won’t get hungry so often.
Why is a food diary important?
- Keep a food diary. Writing down what you’ve eaten can be a useful way to remember what you’ve eaten each day. It can also help you identify things that aren’t part of your healthy eating plan that may be contributing to unwanted weight gain.
There are essential factors for a balanced diet, you need to know your body nutritional requirements, learn here about the key essential nutrients that make up a balanced diet