Good nutritional habits can help you accomplish many different goals: staying healthy, losing weight, or running better. What’s the best way to start? Try making even just a few, simple, manageable changes.
What are five ways to stay healthy?
Here are a few ideas that might work for you!
1) Eat breakfast! Eating breakfast has been proven to be one of the most important things you can do for your health and wellbeing. You’ll have more energy throughout the day and won’t feel so lethargic after a big lunch or dinner.
2) Eat fresh foods – not processed foods! Fast food is tempting because it’s virtually always available and convenient (even if unhealthy). However, there are usually healthier alternatives. For example, try making a sandwich with fresh bread and lunch meat, instead of grabbing one that’s been sitting in the microwave for hours.
3) Drink lots of water! It’s easy to mistake hunger for thirst when you’re working hard or doing a sport. For this reason, it’s important to drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially if you’re an athlete. Try drinking your bodyweight in ounces each day (for example, if you weigh 150 pounds, drink between 75-100 ounces of water).
4) Be realistic! It’s great to have a list of new goals and to want to change everything about yourself, but sometimes it can be overwhelming. Instead of thinking of this as a huge undertaking, think of it as a small step you can take toward a better future. Think in terms of how you can eat just one healthy meal today, walk between two and three miles today, or get one serving of vegetables tonight.
5) Don’t feel guilty! Sure; it’s easy to grab some not-so-healthy foods when you’re out running errands because they’re available at every fast food place, gas station or grocery store. However, don’t beat yourself up every time you make an unhealthy choice.
Want to know more about How do you get started on healthy eating? here is a full guide to healthy eating