Types of Domestic Abuse
Types of Domestic Abuse
If you want to save this information but don’t think it is safe to take it home, see if a trusted friend can keep it for you. Plan ahead. Know who you can call for help, and memorize the phone number.
Be careful online too. Your online activity may be seen by others. Do not use your personal computer or device to read about this topic. Use a safe computer such as one at work, a friend’s house, or a library.
Domestic violence-also called intimate partner violence-can take many forms. It can affect
your mind and emotions, or it can be physical or dangerous to your life. If you’re not sure if you’re being abused, ask yourself the following questions:
Does your partner:
- Hit, shove, slap, kick, punch, or choke
- Threaten to hurt or kill you?
- Call you names
or tell you that you are crazy?
- Criticize things you do or
say, or criticize how you look?
- Hurt your pets or destroy
things that are special to you?
- Blame you for the abuse he or she
- Limit where you can go, what you can do, and who you
can talk to?
- Unexpectedly check up on you at your workplace,
home, school, or elsewhere?
- Try to convince or force you to have sex, perform sexual acts you’re not comfortable with, or sexually assault you?
- Threaten to have you deported?
- Apologize and tell you it will never happen again (even
though it already has)?
- Control all your money and finances?
- Keep you away from family and friends?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may be in an abusive relationship. There are people who can help you. You are not alone. Talk to someone you trust, such as a friend, a doctor, or a help center. Talking with someone can help you make the changes you need to stay safe.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline
can help you find resources in your area. This nationwide database has detailed
information on domestic violence shelters, other emergency shelters, legal
support and assistance programs, and social service programs.
- Call 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233).
- Call 1-800-787-3224
- Visit the website: www.ndvh.org.
Primary Medical Reviewer William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP – Emergency Medicine
Kathleen Romito, MD – Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer H. Michael O’Connor, MD – Emergency Medicine
Current as ofMay 3, 2017
Current as of:
May 3, 2017