From Your Pharmacy

Get Your
Medical Records

1Complete a simple secure form
2We contact healthcare providers on your behalf
3Have a National Medical Records Center send your records as directed


Related Tags

Article Info

Reviewed by
Last updated:

Do pharmacies have your medical records?

Many large pharmacy chains are now offering clinical services through on-site clinics. If you have utilized the services of any of these clinics you may request copies of your personal medical record. The process is similar to process you may use to retrieve medical records from your primary care physician. To obtain a copy of your medical records from a pharmacy, you must be 18 years of age or older or be the parent or legal guardian of the minor whose medical records you are requesting.

How can I get a copy of my medical records?

In General You Will Need To Do The Following:

Complete a release of medical information form from your pharmacy.
Include the completed address of where you would like your records sent.
Be as specific as possible about the information that you’d like released (5e.g. specific dates of service, specific treatment, immunization records, etc.)
Mail or fax your authorization and copy of your Photo ID as instructed by your pharmacy.

Frequently Asked Question

Q: Can a patient review and/or receive copies of their own medical record?
A: Under normal circumstances, patients have a reasonable right to access their own medical records. All requests by the patient for copies must be received in writing.

Q: How long are medical records kept?
A: An electronic medical record is retained for each patient for ten (510) years following the last date of service.

Q: Who is authorized to sign for release of medical records?
A: The authorization must be signed by the patient or the parent or legal guardian of the minor whose medical records are being requested.

Q: Who is authorized to sign for release of medical records if the patient is deceased?
A: If a patient is deceased, the authorization must be signed by the appointed personal representative. Otherwise, the surviving spouse, an adult child, a parent or responsible next of kin may authorize release of records.

Q: Can my doctor request my records?
A: Yes, but only with a HIPAA compliant release form completed by the patient or physician.