What is Cerner EMR Software?
Cerner Corporation is a health tech company based out of Missouri, United States, and was founded in 1979. In June 2022, Oracle acquired Cerner software to continue its mission to “relentlessly seek breakthrough innovation that will shape the healthcare of tomorrow.”
Cerner is used by practices and healthcare organizations of all sizes and specialties and remains one of the prominent market leaders when it comes to healthcare digitization.
The key solutions offered by Cerner include:
- Population Health Management
- Clinical Solutions
- Open & Interoperable
- Revenue Cycle Management
- Services & Technology
- Real-World Data Solutions
Cerner PowerChart® Electronic Medical Record system is a family of products designed to create an enterprise-wide, multi-entity, multi-facility, electronic medical record (EMR).
On the other hand, PowerChart Touch™provides physicians access to patient information such as lab results, patient documentation, and current orders on the go across multiple devices including tablets and smartphones. It can streamline workflows into the desktop application by combining all the critical components of an EMR into a single system.
About Cerner EMR Software
The Cerner EHR platform, Millennium®, is an integrated database that provides a comprehensive set of capabilities that caters to enterprise-wide patient care. Cerner created it to allow healthcare professionals to electronically store, capture, and access patient health information in both the acute and ambulatory care setting. Further, Millennium utilizes powerful decision support via predictive algorithms to fire rules and alerts, that empower providers to give the correct patient care.
Why Cerner is a good EHR?
Millennium®, the Cerner EMR software allows you to:
- Get real-time access to patient results and clinical information across care disciplines
- Enable healthcare organizations to meet The Joint Commission requirements for patient confidentiality
- Access patient information securely from wherever and whenever it is most convenient for the care team
- Improve patient experience
- Receive support for implementation and continued service for any blocks
- Utilize Interoperability across devices so that you spend less time searching for patient information. CommonWell Health Alliance has integrated with the Cerner EHR to facilitate this.
What are the Benefits of Using Cerner?
- Improve patient care as clinicians can focus on the patient’s overall health and not just the encounter
- Increase efficiency by placing real-time, updated information with the care team in time to make fast and effective decisions
- Increase access to information from multiple venues in the health system
What Software does Cerner Use?
Cerner has different EMR software solutions for various hospital and health system specialties, such as:
- Acute Care Electronic Medical Record
- Clinical Imaging
- Community Hospitals
- Critical Access Hospitals
- Critical Care
- Document Imaging
- Emergency Department
- Knowledge Solutions
- Point of Care
- Quality and Performance Improvement
- Reporting and Outcomes
- Revenue Cycle
- Women’s Health
- Workforce Solution
What is the Difference Between Epic & Cerner?
Both Epic and Cerner are prominent and highly preferred healthcare solutions providers in the US. What are the key differences between these two, and which should you choose?
Here are some things to consider:
- Pricing: Out of the two, Epic offers broader and more features and this comes at a higher price. If you are a small healthcare provider or practitioner, this can be a crucial consideration when it comes to choosing an EMR. In comparison, Cerner has a lower price.
- Exchanging Data: Epic discourages data to share, and sometimes even puts a price on it when it’s with a 3rd party platform. This plays a part in raising the cost.
- CRM: Epic launched its customer relationship management software, epicIT, that helps practitioners to keep a record of all patient interactions and helps to serve them better during each touchpoint.