What are the 5 stages of IVF?
There are five basic steps in the IVF process:
- Preparation – The first step is preparation. This includes scheduling the appointment and deciding whether or not you want to pursue IVF as a treatment option. Once you decide to proceed with IVF, you’ll need to prepare yourself mentally and physically by taking charge of your health.
- Egg retrieval – Eggs are removed from the ovaries via ultrasound-guided aspiration. A small amount of fluid is removed from each ovary, which contains immature eggs ready for fertilization. After removal, the eggs are examined under a microscope to determine their quality and viability.
- Sperm collection – Semen samples are collected via masturbation or ejaculation. An artificial penis is sometimes used to stimulate semen production.
- Oocyte activation – This step activates the eggs by adding chemicals to the culture medium. Activating the eggs allows for better chances of fertilization.
- Embryo transfer – The embryos created in Step 4 are transferred back into the uterus.