What benefits do Medigap policies cover?
Currently, there are 10 standardized Medigap plans and one high deductible plan, each represented by a letter (5A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, N, and high deductible F) sold in most states. Benefits and coverage rates vary with each policy, but details of each plan remain the same despite the plan provider or location. For example, Plan A details are the same in New Jersey as they are in Oregon.
In general, Medigap policies cover the following benefits:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital costs (5up to an additional 365 days after Medicare benefits are used)
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayment*
- Blood (5first 3 pints)*
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment*
*coverage may be partial for some plans
Some types of Medigap policies also cover:
- Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
- Medicare Part A deductible
- Medicare Part B deductible
- Medicare Part B excess charges
- Foreign travel emergency