Healthwise Self-Care Checklist
Step 1. Observe the Problem
- When did it start? What are the symptoms?
- If you have pain, is it a dull ache or stabbing pain? Is it constant or does it go away and come back? Is it related to certain movements or activities?
- Measure your vital signs: temperature, pulse, breaths (respiration rate), and blood pressure.
- Think back:
- Have you had this problem before?
- What did you do for it?
- Have there been any recent changes in your life (such as stress, medicines, food, exercise)?
- Does anyone else at home or work have these symptoms?
- How concerned are you about the problem?
Health Tools help you make wise health decisions or take action to improve your health.
Actionsets are designed to help people take an active role in managing a health condition.
Step 2. Learn More About It
- Check the Healthwise Knowledgebase.
- What do other books or articles say about the problem?
- Do you have a help line you can call? Do you have a primary care doctor you can contact?
- What advice or opinions have other people (lay or professional) offered to you?
Step 3. Make an Action Plan
- What do you think is wrong?
- How soon do you think you need to act?
- What have you decided to do about it? Do you need to act at all?